While March lets us flirt with the idea of spring’s awakening and had us take on some much-needed spring-cleaning of our cosmetics, it is usually not until April that the highly anticipated season actually seems to begin. With warmer weather and April showers, we begin to long for summer skirts and spring’s trends. In the world of beauty, April opens the door to the season’s new must-have products.
Here are my personal favorites that will have you looking effortlessly beautiful for spring!
1) When the weather warms and the subway begins to feel more like a sweat shop, it’s important to keep products on hand that keep you feeling fresh. Yes To Cucumbers Natural Glow facial towelettes with hydrating aloe vera, protective green tea and exfoliating dead sea minerals, will remove dirt, makeup and sweat without leaving behind a sticky reside. Plus, they’re oil and alcohol free, hypo-allergenic, 98.7% natural and made from sustainable fabric. Yes To Cucumbers Natural Glow Facial Towelettes, $5.99 for 30 wipes, www.yestocarrots.com
2) A quality anti-perspirant or deodorant is seasonably essential. Okay, it’s always essential, but now is the time to upgrade, if necessary. I love Kiehl’s Superbly Efficient Anti-Perspirant & Deodorant. Not only does it works, it has a neutral scent, making it ideal for use with any perfume. Kiehl’s Superbly Efficient Anti-Perspirant & Deodorant, $12, www.kiehls.com
3) Staying sweat-free is one thing, but being sweetly-scented is even better. Carrying around perfume, carries quite a risk of a spill. Unless, of course, you use a solid scent. Thrown in your handbag, these not only take up minimal room (without the risk), but also last forever and smell fabulous. I’m personally partial to Chelsea Flowers come springtime, but with 11 scents to choose from, you’re sure to find one that perfectly pleases you. Bond No. 9 Solid Perfume Token, $85, www.bondno9.com
4) While sweaty sheen is never in, a gorgeous glow is. To get a coveted spring-shimmer look, use a luminizing product that you can use both as a highlighter and as an eye shadow. My pick, RMS Beauty’s Living Luminizer. It’s one of my beauty bag staples no matter the season and is especially handy when you’re attempting to look delightfully dewy. RMS Living Luminizer, $38, www.rmsbeauty.com
5) Nude polish claimed the spring and summer 2010 shows at NYC’s Mercedez-Benz Fashion Week. It’s lower maintenance than spring’s usual brights (since those nicks and chips won’t be so noticeable), but also gives the illusion of elongated fingers. While nude is different for everyone, OPI has a wide range of shades. Look for a hue that approximates the color between your skin tone and nail bed like Dulce de Leche, Malaysian Mist, Samoan Sand or Barefoot in Barcelona could work for just about everyone! OPI Polish, $8.50, www.opi.com
6) Coral lipstick (even bright orange) is in for spring. While many women may steer clear of orange for fear of looking eighty, fret not, these are not your grandma’s shades. Instead, these trendy tones are the perfect alternative to the red of this past fall or the hot pinks of last summer. While bright hues are not for the faint of heart, try a coral gloss for a less bold statement. Bobbi Brown Shimmer Lip Gloss in Golden Nectar, $20, www.bobbibrown.com
7) Bronzer is great, but it’s blush that gives you those coveted, just-pinched pink cheeks. For a perfectly pinked complexion, try a liquid blush like the one from Sonia Kashuk. It blends easily and absorbs into your skin for a glow that will leave everyone questioning whether you’re even wearing makeup. And, if you’re not, what have you been up to that leaves you so beautifully blushing. Sonia Kashuk Liquid Blush, $9.99, www.target.com
8) Warm weather makeup is about minimally enhancing your natural beauty and there is no tool more essential than a Shu Uemura eyelash curler. Other brands may try to compete, but they just can’t. Shu Uemura Eyelash Curler, $19, www.sephora.com
9) I once heard, whoever said diamonds are a girl’s best friend was wrong – it’s concealer. While I would be hard-pressed to find a girl that would choose concealer over diamonds, you get the point: it’s pretty important! My pick, Jane Iredale’s Disappear. With green tea extract, seaweed and antioxidants, it not only covers up pesky blemishes, but also helps promote healing. Jane Iredale Disappear, $24, www.dermstore.com
10) The number one beauty essential for spring: sunscreen! While I have my personal favorites, the most important thing is that you find one you like so that you’ll use it daily – no excuses. All the beauty tricks in the world can’t conceal damaged skin. Take the time to try a few until you find one that goes on smoothly, works under your makeup and won’t cause you to break out.
Now you should feel ready to take on the world, or at least the fiesty spring weather!
- Share this:
About the Author
Alexis Wolfer - This Beauty Bit was created by Alexis Wolfer, a beauty and lifestyle expert committed to bringing women their beauty, nutrition, fitness and wellness fix in an empowering way. As the founder of the online magazine TheBeautyBean.com, Alexis strives to show readers and fans that beauty is not only skin deep. Have a beauty blunder that needs fixing or a burning beauty question? Leave it in the comments below and let Alexis guide you on the road towards fun and achievable beauty! To learn more about Alexis Wolfer or to connect with her further, visit her Bella Life profile here.