You are having one of those days. You don’t feel like getting out of bed, your energy is low, and nothing sounds more enticing than a day in your PJs. At the same time, you know that you would feel much better if you got up and spent your day doing the things you love. But how do you get through that threshold when you don’t want to get out of bed?
Some of the questions I suggest asking yourself in the midst of a funk is: What would my happiest self do today? Is lying in bed today serving me? (If it is, then go for it, you definitely need it!)
Sometimes we need to get up and act to shift our mood. Here are my top 20 ways to shake off your funk.
1. Acknowledge the funk. Alright, so you are in a funk. No biggie.
2. Forgive yourself and others. Are you angry at yourself for being in a funk? Are you harboring any feelings of guilt or shame towards yourself or others? It’s time to forgive. The first step in forgiveness is a willingness to forgive.
3. Meditate. Sit up with your legs crossed, your eyes closed, and your hands on your knees (palms up). Either pop in a guided meditation or your own soothing music, breathe in and get connected to your inner truth. In this space of silence, you can gently ask why you are in a funk or ask for help in shifting this energy.
4. Take a shower. Taking a shower allows you to start anew. You clean off the old energy of the funk and are one step closer to feelin fab!
5. Go outside. Fresh air does wonders for the soul.
6. Connect with nature. Nature does wonders for the spirit.
7. Get moving. Since you are feeling funky, you need to get that energy stirring. This might be one of those times you have to force yourself to move. Do something that is fun for you, though! Maybe pop in a yoga DVD or take a jog outside. Whatever it is, moving allows you to get out of your mind and into your body.
8. Call a friend. Call one of your friends that knows how to cheer you up. Ask them if they want to meet up and take a walk. If you don’t feel like doing that, just chat for a little.
9. Clean up. Ever notice that when you tidy up your desk or the pile you left on the floor, you feel better?
10. Booty shake. Jam out to some Beyoncé, or anything that makes you want to move, and shake your bootay. I bet you won’t be able to stop smiling!
11. Laugh! Watch some funny YouTube clips (David at the Dentist gets me every time) or just start laughing, even if it’s fake at first, and watch the funk disappear.
12. Cook something colorful and scrumptious. Creating anything gets you back into the flow. Invite some friends over for a meal and cook for them or even cook for yourself. Smell the aroma of the food you are cooking and take in all the flavors.
13. Give. Aung San Suu Kyi said it right. “If you are feeling helpless, help someone.” It can be as big as volunteering with a homeless shelter or holding the door for an elder. Set your intention to serve and give something to someone else and I bet you that the opportunity will arise shortly after. Sometimes all we need to do is remember that we are here to help others.
14. Dress up. Change into that funky dress you’ve been dying to wear. Why not?
15. Decorate. Have you been thinking about adding some color, Bella Life style, to your room but never got around to it? Now is the time. Putting some loving attention to your physical space will make you feel so good.
16. Get your culture on. Have you been meaning to see that exhibit at the local museum or see that movie you’ve been hearing everyone talk about? Get inspired by other’s creative work.
17. Smell the roses. Got any pure essential oils or incense around? Aromatherapy can instantly elevate your mood. I especially love lavender for its calming effects.
18. Remember that you are here for a reason. Sometimes we are in a funk because we feel useless. Remind yourself that you are here for a reason, otherwise you wouldn’t be alive. Seriously!
19. Cultivate gratitude. Chances are, you have many blessings in your life, but you just aren’t seeing them. Make a list of everything you are grateful for and really take the time to acknowledge and feel how grateful you really are for all of this goodness in your life.
20. Follow your joy. What is the thing you would do all day long if money were no object? Take a step today and do it, even if it’s only for a few minutes.
Shake off that funk and get funky!
- Share this:
About the Author
This article was written by Alison Leipzig, our very own Body Confidence Guru! Alison is dedicated to making our relationship with our bodies loving, safe and freakin' fun and she infuses her confidence philosophies in to everything she creates. Having been through her own struggles with her body and loving and accepting herself, Alison has a compassionate and unique perspective that can allow you to access divine clarity. She also loves to guide our Bella Beauties on their Body Confidence journeys so leave a comment below and she will walk you through your questions and concerns step by step. To learn more about Alison Leipzig or to connect with her further, visit her Bella Life profile here.